Nearly nine months ago, community stake-holders, concerned teachers, and advocates got together to discuss the mounting literacy issues facing Horry County. That initial discussion has grown into a full-fledged community movement whose community action plan for literacy is the result of a few hundred individuals in our community working together for our combined future.
By the Numbers
- 22.4% of Horry County 1st Graders do not have the pre-literacy skills to succeed at grade level.
- 32.8% of Horry County 8th Graders are reading below grade level.
- 12% of Horry County adults lack basic literacy skills.
- 40% of adults in South Carolina state prisons have low literacy skills.
The literacy needs in Horry County are great, and so require a plan that consolidates the efforts of the many organizations and providers working individually on literacy issues. Literacy Alive and its coalition partners bring literacy programs and services to communities throughout Horry County in an effort to ensure everyone has access to the education they need. Individuals, families, groups, organizations, and businesses can all play an important role in supporting literacy in Horry County.
Literacy is Our Life
Literacy impacts all of our lives every day. It’s our:
Community It enables us to communicate with each other, share values, ideas, and build the structures and programs that define the communities in which we live.
Future It is the key to understanding how to make our way in the world and build sustainable futures for ourselves, our children, our families, and our entire community.
Promise It fuels the promise of the younger generation and drives each child’s potential for success in the world.
Challenge It empowers us to take and overcome the challenges we face in life with a greater understanding of our options and consequences.
Strength It gives us strength by enabling us to stand strong in our own beliefs in a world that is inundated with contradictory messages and communication.
Power It gives us power as individuals to have a voice that can lead our families and communities into prosperity.
Business It is the foundation of business, essential to communicating internal and external goals, policies, messages, and goodwill at every level.
Supporting initiatives like Literacy Alive is a great way for businesses and organizations to make an impact right here where we live.
Uplift Your Community with Literacy Alive
How You Can Help
- Make Literacy Alive your cause.
- Spread the word about Literacy Alive throughout your networks.
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @LiteracyAlive.
- Volunteer time and resources to our events and outreach efforts.
- Make financial and in-kind donations of services and supplies.
- Proudly show your support for Literacy Alive in your place of business, organization, home, or meeting place.
- Mentor or tutor a child in your community.
Contact us today to learn more about how you can get involved.