The COVID-19 Relief & Recovery Fund stands ready to deploy flexible resources to organizations that are working with communities disproportionately affected by the coronavirus outbreak and whose work is within the nine counties of coastal South Carolina: Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry and Jasper Counties. This effort is supported by regional organizations including Black River United Way, Trident United Way, United Way of Horry County and United Way of the Lowcountry, as well as, the Frances P. Bunnelle Foundation and Waccamaw Community Foundation.
Our nonprofit partners are often at the front lines when crisis strikes for individuals, families, neighbors and communities, and no doubt they will be stretched in this time of uncertainty. This fund is intended to support those nonprofit operations so that our region can quickly respond to and recover from this public health emergency.
If I am a fundholder at Waccamaw Community Foundation, how can I donate?
We encourage you to contribute to the COVID-19 Relief & Recovery Fund or to make a recommendation to support an organization you wish to help. We urge you to consider supporting general operations, rather than adding a restriction, as it may limit a nonprofit from focusing on its base activities on the immediate need.
To use a Donor-Advised Fund, submit your grant recommendation to Waccamaw Community Foundation for the “COVID-19 Relief & Recovery Fund.”
We encourage you to reach out to staff at any time for questions and assistance:
- Mike Mancuso, Executive Director, email@example.com
- Shawna Mosley-Foster, Donor Services and Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristen Bitzegaio, Program Manager, email@example.com
What should I do if I wish to contribute to the COVID-19 Response Fund?
You can make a secure, tax-deductible donation online here. If you wish to contribute securities or funds by wire, please contact Tess Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions. It is our intention to check our USPS mailbox periodically; however, we encourage you to give electronically. If you are a WCF donor advised fund holder and wish to make a gift from your fund, please contact Shawna Mosley-Foster at email@example.com.
For any additional questions about donations, reach Executive Director Mike Mancuso at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I restrict my gift to a certain county or counties?
Yes, as long as they are in our nine-county service area of Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry and Jasper Counties. Please specify which counties you’d like your gift to support in the “comments” field of the payment form.
Can I restrict my gift to a certain organization?
To ensure that we can coordinate and share resources as quickly as possible, donors may not restrict their grants to an individual grantee. If you have a specific organization you would like to support, we encourage you to give directly to that organization.
Should I give to this Fund instead of making other donations?
No, this Fund is not intended to be the only vehicle to give funds to nonprofits working at the frontlines of the COVID-19 outbreak. You are encouraged to give directly to organizations you may have supported in the past or nonprofits you know are addressing needs in your community. This fund is another vehicle through which those needs will be addressed.
Will contributions to the COVID-19 Fund be co-mingled with prior disasters?
No, funds are not co-mingled, as we segregate and track accordingly.
Will any funds be held back to maintain a small balance for the future?
No, we deploy all funds for immediate, short- and long-term efforts related to disaster for which dollars were donated for.
How do I apply?
If your organization is interested in applying for assistance from the COVID-19 Relief & Recovery Fund, please visit this Online Portal. If you have questions, please contact Kristi Wallace at email@example.com with the subject line “COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Fund.”
When are you accepting applications?
Funds are expected to be deployed within the next several weeks. If your organization is interested in applying for assistance from the COVID-19 Relief & Recovery Fund, please visit the Coastal Community Foundation’s Online Portal. If you have questions, please contact Kristi Wallace at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Fund.”
When will you announce grants?
We do not know at this time; however, we anticipate that with a rolling basis process, we may begin within the next several weeks. We will publish the names of grantees and more information on a regular basis, as dollars are deployed.
Can my organization tell you what we are doing or how we are affected by the epidemic?
Yes, you can email Kristen Bitzegaio at email@example.com with the subject line of “COVID-19 Impact”. We ask that you provide:
- Organization Name & EIN
- Primary Contact Name, Email & Phone
- Secondary Contact Name, Email & Phone
- Mission Statement
- Primary population served and current #’s (e.g., 47 children from Whale Branch Elementary, 42 elderly residents at Sherman House)
- Geography served (e.g., Georgetown County; Aynor area of Horry County)
- How the organization is providing for those effected by COVID-19 (e.g, feeding program for children at our local church’s family activity center)
- Current primary need (e.g., we have to deliver bagged groceries or other resources to outlying communities that are isolated and transportation costs have sky-rocked).
Who should I contact for other questions about the COVID-19 Response Fund?
Depending on your needs, please contact, with “COVID-19” in the subject line:
- General: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grant inquiries: Edie Blakeslee, Vice President of Grantmaking & Community Leadership, email@example.com
- Media inquiries: Abigail Darlington, Communications Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org or 854-222-3463
- Philanthropic or Business Partners: Angel Johnson-Brebner, Director, email@example.com, or 843-793-6027
- Transferring Assets: Tess Martin, Finance Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-793-6122.